Working Men’s Institute – Murphy Gallery
407 Tavern St., New Harmony, Indiana 47631
The free, 2nd floor Murphy gallery features two art collections for viewing. The older gallery displays a collection of copies of famous renaissance works that commissioned by Dr. Murphy (1813-1900) who underwrote the building of the library itself. The paintings, in ornate gold frames, are Itailian copies of well-known masterpieces that Murphy purchased between 1887 and 1895. The copyists are unknown but the names of the original painters are noted on brass plaques on the frames.
Open Tue-Thur 10am-7pm, Fri & Sat 10am-4:30pm, Sun 12-4:30pm