Working Men’s Institute
407 Tavern St., New Harmony, Indiana 47631
Established by philanthropist William Maclure in 1838, the Working Men’s Institute (WMI) set as its mission the dissemination of useful knowledge to those who work with their hands. After 170 years of continuous service, this goal is still at the heart of our mission. The Working Men’s Institute in New Harmony was the first of 144 WMIs in Indiana and 16 in Illinois. It is the only one remaining. Today, the WMI is a public library, museum, art gallery, and an archive. In each of these areas, the WMI tries to stay true to the original mission of William Maclure.
Open Tue-Thur 10am-7pm, Fri & Sat 10am-4:30pm, Sun 12pm-4:30pm.