David Lenz House
The David Lenz house was built circa 1819-1822 by the Harmonists and was occupied by the Lenz family. The Lenz family immigrated to America from Germany in 1804 and signed the contract to join the Harmony Society in Harmony, Pennsylvania in 1905. This house is a typical Harmonist single-family frame dwelling. Houses, like the Lenz, were frame houses built mainly with square timber logs of poplar or oak. The spaces between the logs were chinked with wood shims and a clay grouting mix of straw and river shells. Roofs were framed with rafters and mortised and tenoned at the peak.
Today the house and garden is owned by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the state of Indiana and is available to tour through Historic New Harmony.