John Beal House
613 Church St., New Harmony, Indiana 47631
The house was built in 1829 by an English carpenter who came to New Harmony on the “Boatload of Knowledge” with his wife Roxie Ann and his daughter. John Beal (1797-1867) repaired several Harmonist buildings in 1828. He built this house out of existing materials from a Harmonist horse barn, using the English technique involving wattle-and-daub construction (weaving saplings between boards and filling them with mud). Like the Harmonists, Beal used sway braces and insulation in the ceilings.