Granary St., New Harmony, Indiana 47631
- Granary St., New Harmony, Indiana 47631
This brick Harmonist house was converted into a changing exhibition gallery in 1990. The house, built circa 1820, was the home of Harmonist shoemaker Mathias Scholle. He was born 1796 and probably emmigrated from Germany with his family in 1808. His father Jacob Scholle was one of the early followers of George Rapp. The shoe shop where Scholle worked was located west on Tavern Street. The shoes that he and his fellow shoemakers made were both worn in the town and sold for export.
The Scholle house is significant as an especially good example of Harmonist construction. It stands at the only intersection in present-day New Harmony where three corners are still occupied by original Harmonist buildings.
Find out more about this house and the history of the town with one of Historic New Harmony’s daily guided tours.